Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, oil-free
Ultra dense and chewy, these banana bread muffin tops make a great for dessert or snack. Sweetened with banana and dates, there are no added sugars (and the chocolate chips can be easily swapped for walnuts). It’s done in only 10 minutes prep (plus cooking) and only one instrument to wash, the food processor! So easy for busy healthy mummy!
For 9 large cookies
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 18 Minutes
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled (230 grams banana without peel)
- 1/2 cup packed pitted Medjool dates (125 grams pitted dates)*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats, divided
- 3-4 tablespoons non-dairy chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate) so around 40g
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the peeled bananas, pitted dates, and vanilla into a food processor. Process until smooth. I let it run for a minute or so.
- Add in the cinnamon, baking powder, and salt and process again until combined.
- Add in 1.5 cups (or 130g) of the rolled oats and process for only 4-5 seconds, just long enough to roughly chop the oats.
- Remove processor from the base and then remove the blade and set aside. Carefully stir in the remaining 1/2 cup or 40g rolled oats and the chocolate chips.
- Spoon a large portion of dough (about 3-4 tablespoons or so for each) onto the parchment. Do not press down on the dough to flatten – simply leave it in a mound on the baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake for another 7-9 minutes until golden brown on the bottom.
- Immediately transfer the baking sheet onto a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then lift off muffins and place on the rack to cool completely.
Make sure you use very soft Medjool dates. If you are using firm dates, be sure to soak them in water until softened before proceeding with recipe.
I use 340g of bananas without the peel instead of 340g with the peel and it was delicious each time.
I recommend to store them in the fridge but to eat them at room temperature or even a bit warm it’s all good as well.
My 1year old baby just loved it so much, same as I do. It’s a perfect snack for her pack with fruits, ideal to get energy to move around J
I made them for friends and all loved it so much!
I really like the sweet and chocolate taste without being too sweet. I enjoy them even more while knowing all is natural and no added sugar in it 🙂 Enjoy!!!!